Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Preamble

When Aunt Julie and Uncle Chuck visited us two years ago in DC we took them to Philly and New York for some site seeing. While visiting the Liberty Bell I found a great book called "We the Kids." It's a book with colorful illustrations of the Preamble of the Constitution. It also explains all the lines of the Preamble in simpler words at the beginning of the book. Whether Reagan loved the colors of the pictures or she's just a little history buff in the making she has always enjoyed reading this book. Labor Day weekend Reagan began randomly reciting the Preamble. We had no idea she had memorized it! This weekend using Grammy's camera we were able to catch it and the Lord's Prayer (see below) on film. I sure love to hear those big words from both the Lord's Prayer and the Preamble with her sweet voice. It is so precious. lol :)

~

Sorry the videos are sideways. I know that's kind of annoying to watch, but since I'm not use to taping things on Grammy's camera I didn't realize I had done it incorrectly until it was on here. Like most little kids Reagan isn't real keen on performing so I didn't think I should press my luck and try to get her to do it again. As it is, the only reason I could get her to recite them for the camera this morning was by suggesting Ariel and Prince Eric (gifts from Grammy from our shopping trip yesterday) hadn't heard them yet. lol :)

On the history buff note I have to tell a Reagan story that cracked me up this week. She has a set of President books that she loves. I would think they would be way over a two year old's head but she loves them! She also likes finding pictures of the presidents on the internet. If she sees me on the computer, she nearly always comes up and asks if she can see a picture of George Washington. Then she requests to see pictures of Thomas Jefferson, John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan and Obama. Those are sometimes followed by FDR, Theodore Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson. That's about as many as she knows though. Anyway, she was looking at the book we have on Reagan the other night when she asked me "Is this a picture of Nancy?" It really cracked me up. As it turned out it was a picture of Jane Wyman (Reagan's first wife) so we worked on finding all the pictures of Nancy in the book. It's amazing what little kids pick up. While we have read the book and it does discuss Nancy Reagan I was still amazed that she paid enough attention to realize that a woman standing next to Ronald Reagan should logically be Nancy. So cute and so funny! lol :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have listenened to this over and over - I just LOVE that sweet face and that sweet, sweet voice - can't wait to hear a whole week of it on the cruise! xoxoxooxo Grammy

Martin LaBar said...

Wow! What articulation!