Friday, March 13, 2009

Coloring

Before I explain these pictures I've been meaning to mention that anyone should be able to comment again. I guess I accidentally changed the settings so not everyone could post but now I've corrected that so everyone should be able to comment. Just click on the comment button and type away. :)
~
Reagan has enjoyed playing with color wonder markers and paints as well as your typical crayons and coloring books for quite a while. As with most toys her interest goes up and down over time. She surprised me yesterday by starting what I would truly consider coloring. Don't get me wrong I realize she has a long way to go before she's filling out all the spaces and staying in the lines but I think some light bulb went on yesterday and now instead of scribbling she is really working at coloring. She talks about what she's coloring and goes very slowing working on the eye, nose, hand, etc. She has literally spent hours coloring over the course of the last two days.
I'm not trying to say this is amazing artwork but I think for 22 1/2 months the fact that you can see she made an effort to color the cloud pink, Zoe's nose red, her knee pads orange, her roller skates purple, etc is pretty good. I have no idea if this is typical for this age or not it just surprised me because it was such a complete departure from what Reagan had been doing. I mean it was literally an over night difference in the time, effort, and coordination in this activity.

On a funnier note, it appears that Reagan's favorite thing to color is any given character's nose. There are many pages on which the nose(s) are the only thing colored. Go figure! lol :)

3 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

As a child who considered a coloring book and crayons a treat, I thought that ten year old students would feel the same...I soon discovered that most girls colored well and enjoyed it, while most boys did not. By the time Reagan is ten, at this rate, she'll be a very artistic little girl, and SUCH concentration!

Great Aunt Faye

Emily said...

Well, from my expert experience this year in the preschool room of 3-4 year olds....it is excellent!
1st- she uses more than one color per page
2nd- she colors individual items as a whole

Super dee duper! Reagan!!!

Anonymous said...

When Lily started to really color, she did all the noses in her Sesame Street coloring book first. How funny!

Jodi